Friday 21 May 2010

Sonic Branding 2.0

So here is a clue to what we are up to at Cutting Edge. And though full disclosure on this blog is never going to happen, I do feel that it is time to share.

There are some major trends in the world of sonic branding that I have been noticing over the last 11 years (yes, it is that long since I founded my first agency) and each of these is reaching an interesting point at just about the same time. Let me expand, one trend at a time:

1. More audio-enabled touchpoints

When I started out, we had TV, radio, cinema and some music-on-hold as our major ways to use sound to affect a brand audience.

Now? Well every retailer puts a proper sound system in, every person you meet owns a digital media device (iPod or whatever) every brand has a website and delivers rich media content. It's a rich playground for the sonic brander.

2. Less power concentration in ad agencies

Don't get me wrong. I support the ad agency model and don't agree with those who feel it is doomed. Big, creative hubs will always be relevant to big, corporate entities. That said, a little less focus on the 30" TV spot as the flagship medium for brand communications has allowed sonic branding to gain traction where none would have been possible 10 years ago.

3. An outward-looking music industry

So they are not 100% there yet but they are getting better. When we all turned off the tap of cash to the record companies a few years ago some of them (and more and more now) realized that they had to look elsewhere (brands?) for revenues and opportunities. Would any major label have seriously talked sonics a few years ago? I was derided in 2000, in 2010 there is a desire (if not yet a clamour) to understand what this is all about.

4. Maturity in the sonics industry

Those of us who have made it this far are just about figuring the right business model. It's not online, it's not pure consultancy, nor simply tactical execution of a client's needs. The model for sonic branding splits into 3 parts...and they will be the subject of my next post!

Meanwhile, I am interested in hearing from anyone out there who wants to join Cutting Edge in London or New York. I'm still hiring!

DJ

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Every client I speak to is interested in really unique and innovative music tactics - in particular, putting music into the hands of their customers through rewards programs. The long-lived hierarchy of the :30 spot on top of the totem pole is changing significantly - brands are very interested in the most impactful touchpoint - customers interacting directly with their product in stores or online, as opposed to the passive interaction you get from watching a TV spot.

    - Richard
    http://www.musicandbranding.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel,

    I agree in you point of view, and I can tell you this from mine. In Denmark I now have 8 full time employed people in our Sonic Branding company working in 4 studios. I am experiencing, that our customers are looking for several colloboration partners, each with expertise within different media (web, sound, mobil etc). We are usually working directly with the company and then cooperate with their different partners.

    Our work load is typically 30-40 % music production and 60-70& strategy, consultancy and implementation. I see implementation as the key for us. It is very important for us, at we can capitalize our sound for our customers and help them using it. We also urge our customers to point out an Sound brand manager, in order to make value of their sound brand.

    This is how I see that Sound Branding will be taking serious.

    Harmonic Regards

    Karsten Kjems, Managing Director
    Sonic Branding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I am starting to feel like I should uncover a little more of what my business has become...I'm going to let the readers of this blog see their own futures!

    ReplyDelete